Tuesday, February 9, 2016

The Day Eric Ran a 5K

My husband is a self proclaimed NON runner!  He has always been my biggest supporter and goes to every race that I do, but he has never, and I mean NEVER, wanted to run a race...or run anywhere for that matter.


His Instagram name is BeatsRunning (as in riding his bike beats running every time)!  He'd be the guy with the 0.0 sticker on his car!

We took bike rides as a family.  Our biking trip in Monterey was such a great time!

He completed a mini metric bike ride.  

He got me into riding.  I never got him into running.

And then he had surgery.  And then he lost a whole lot of weight.


And then he started training for a 5K with the Couch to 5K program.
And then he ran a 5K with me!

I originally signed up for the Hanford Cow Run half marathon, but about a month ago I had a seven mile training run that left me feeling rather ill, and since then, I've lost steam.  I pretty much decided not to run the race.

Then Eric suggested switching to the 5K instead.  Three miles instead of 13?  I can handle that!

Then I took it a step further and suggested that Eric run it with me, even though he hasn't completed his training.  I was really happy when he agreed.  We decided to run when he could and walk when he needed rest.

The kids spent the night with some friends, we went on a date for dinner and Target shopping, and we went to bed with early alarm calls.

Harry was not ready to get out of bed at 5 a.m. when we left the house.

Buddy had to have his goodbye hug from Eric.

I started the important task of documenting our day!

It was very dark and VERY foggy when we left.  Eric said this is the worst fog he's seen all winter.  It made me too anxious to look out the window, so I read my phone to keep from freaking out that we could only see three paint lines in front of us. Not a fun drive.

We could barely see across the street while parked in the school parking lot waiting for the race to start.

We had to leave super early because we could not make it to packet pick up on Saturday, and we had a window from 5:30-6:30 a.m. this morning to get our packets.

We got out of the car and froze our rear ends off waiting in line to get our packet!  Then we booked it back to the car until it got closer to race time!

If you ask Eric, he will tell you that I coerced him into running this race.  I will tell you that is a lie!  He begged to run with me!  Ha!  Just kidding!  I did ask nicely, and he did accept the invitation.  Not much drama involved, but this morning he sure was blaming me for pulling him out of bed on a freezing cold morning!

And that's why I love him so very, very much!

His headband was perfect this morning: My Wife Made Me Do It!

We finally decided to get out of the car.  Here we are just before the race started.

I let Eric set the pace....and he set a great pace!  He naturally runs much faster than me.  At the moment, I can go longer distances, but once he has that, he'll smoke me!

It was interesting running in the fog.  As we got closer to the end of the run, we could hear the cheering and the loud speaker, but we couldn't see it until we were practically on top of the finish line!

We finished in 47 minutes and change.  I am so proud of my husband.  I mean, seriously, he ran a race and no one was chasing him!  He did it because it was something he wanted to try.  The changes we have made this year have been life changing.  And I'm not being dramatic.  We could not have run a race together 10 months ago.

First time 5K finisher!

Both of us feeling great!

I really like the medal.  I already have it hanging on my Pride is Forever medal holder.

What a fun feeling to run this race with my favorite person!

He's just so cute!

And skinny!

He took off to the bathroom, and I kept snapping pictures.

Photo op in front of the Cow Wall.  I posted this picture on Facebook and got over 90 likes!  Wow!

We grabbed the free breakfast, sat down on a hay bale, and enjoyed our life for a few moments.

Breakfast burritos were a nice finishing touch to the race.

By that point we were freezing, so we headed home to pick up the kids and relax before watching the Super Bowl.  

I am so very proud of my husband.  He has given such a gift to his family.  I loved having him race with me.  We are scheduled to run a Valentine's run this coming Saturday, a Color Run in March, and the Classic Weekend in April.  It's going to be a fun spring running around with my man!

No comments:

Post a Comment