Sunday, July 19, 2009

Weaning


Yesterday I threw out all of Hudson's bottles and replaced them with the sippy cups shown here. Yes, I know this should have been done months ago, but it wasn't.

Hudson is fully capable of drinking from a sippy cup and from a regular cup. He can even drink from a water bottle without wrapping his entire mouth around the opening. But when it comes to warm milk and nap or bedtime, he wants his baa.

I am currently listening to him in his room screaming as though the sky were falling. It's not. He has a fresh diaper. He has his blankey. He has his puppy toy. He even has a sippy cup of warm milk. He doesn't like the sippy cup. And he's letting me know.

I am resisting the urge to run in there and comfort him. He doesn't need comfort. He knows how to go to sleep. He has milk. He's not deprived. He's not hurt. Maybe emotionally, but other than that he's fine.

In case you didn't understand, I'm writing all these things to convince myself! Hopefully he'll come to the quick realization that the milk will only be served in sippy cups from now on. The sooner he gets with the program, the happier he'll be.

Oh, and I do know that I'm not supposed to put him down to sleep with milk. However, we can only tackle one vice at a time.

1 comment:

  1. LOL I gotta laugh at this post. I was reading thinking you don't sound super convinced then you SAID that! Too funny. We had to have Jack off bottles early for his surgery and I felt so bad but it only took him a couple days and it was like he never knew what they were. It amazed me how one day he was SO TRAGICALLY upset and three days later he didn't care. Oh and yeah we still had milk in it too, but whatever. ;)

    ReplyDelete