Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Checkin' Out Books

Evan earned the privilege of receiving his very own library card today. Our summer school class took a walking field trip to the downtown library. It was a nice walk that took us about 20 minutes each way.

Evan is no stranger to the library, but I've never bothered to get him his own card. Truth be told, I never even thought about it until my principal told the summer school kids that they could all get one by filling out the form. Hmmm, I thought. Maybe the Peanut would like his own card. Oh boy did he ever!


Here he is with his card. He informed me earlier that he was going to put his card in his wallet. I told him he didn't have a wallet. That didn't deter him. He replied that when he gets older he will have a wallet to put lots of cards in like Mom and Dad. I thought that was pretty cute. Wallet or not, he hung onto that card all afternoon.


The first books officially checked out with the new card.

And what did my Catholic boy pick out as one of his first books? Well, none other than the classic, "When Mindy Saved Hanukkah." Let's not forget Mommy's absolute favorite, "Star Wars The Story of Darth Vader." Let's just say that I refuse to ever watch Star Wars again. NEVER. In my entire life I will never voluntarily watch those movies ever again. Yes, there is a reason behind that. Maybe I'll share it another time. The third book is some pirate chapter book. Perfect choices for my random child.


And this is how I look after a day of walking with 15 kids to the library, spending a few more hours with the summer school kids doing computers, water play, money counting, and computer time, shopping for a refrigerator (for school, not for me), getting an ice cream with Evan, picking up Hudson, running to the grocery store, running over Evan's fingers with the cart (another story for another day), cooking dinner, doing dishes, and putting children to bed. At least my hair looks kinda pretty fluffed up around the pillow!

2 comments:

  1. Evan and Christopher really have an almost uncanny resemblance to each other...these photos look so much like Christopher, it's crazy!

    You're good to get him his library card...I will just warn you, my oldest 2 have their own cards (well, actually Aaron's lost his) but those things rack up fines like you wouldn't believe mostly because I can't keep track of their books with them being on their own accounts and so it doesn't come up with my account when I go to renew/return them each week. Drives me crazy so I'm not about to get Aaron a new replacement card anytime soon!

    Evan's book selections are funny. Love that. Christopher picked out a Christmas decorating book last time we were at the library, ha. And good luck avoiding Star Wars...I think it's instinctive in little boys and so it's a daily occurrence here at our house whether it's the movies themselves, the books, the lightsaber duels, the Wii games, etc, etc, etc!!! (And while you may try to shield your boys from it, their friends will introduce it to them and the obsession begins....aaaahhh!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carol - I agree about the kids looking alike! I look back at pictures of meeting you guys in Yosemite, and I marvel at how similar they look! Good tip about the library card. I'll need to be sure to keep track of what books Evan has checked out. As far as the Star Wars issue goes, I know the kids will love it. I just hate it with a passion. It has to do with an ex-boyfriend. I just figure anything Star Wars related will have to be handled by Eric! We have light sabers here, too! Those are about the only SW thing I like!

    ReplyDelete