Thursday, February 12, 2015

Forty and Feisty!

Yesterday was my 40th birthday, and it was a great day!  The only thing that would have made it better would have been if I wasn't battling bronchitis and feeling near death!  And yes...I am the world's worst sick person and slightly dramatic!

At first I was dreading having to say, "I'm 40."  However, the day before my birthday, I decided that I kind of like who I am right now.  I like the woman I've grown to be, the family I have, the marriage I love, the kids I nurture, the job I love and the wrinkles I've gained!  Forty is rather freeing!

 Now, all that being said, I wasn't overly thrilled with how I looked yesterday, only because I was feeling so sick that I didn't put on any makeup and simply threw my hair back in a clip.

 I somehow managed to pull myself together, get to school, and was pleasantly surprised with lots of gifts and love from staff and kids!  I proudly wore my birthday button all day, and Alena (an 8th grade student) gave me this beautiful necklace!

 My best teaching partner, Amanda, left me flowers and gummy candy, while Jannah (8th grader) brought me a Starbucks card!

 Getting Hudson and me through the day requires lots of medication!

 Balloons, flowers, body spray, suckers, wine, and more candy!  The BEST!

Stacey bought me this gorgeous sign!  I am having a hard time deciding if I want to hang it at school or at home.  I'm leaning towards school because it would look great over my desk.

 Kaitlinn brought me my favorite popcorn from Trader Joe's.  I LOVE this stuff!

 Adam bought me a cheesy, ranch and chicken potato for lunch.

 The 7th and 8th graders threw me a surprise party with decorations, pizza, cupcakes, and soda!

 Coach Washington and Amanda had a hand in making this party a success!

 I got to borrow a 40th birthday crown while I ate my red velvet cupcake!

After school came the feisty part of my day where I went to my eye doctor appointment at 3:15.  After waiting a little over half an hour to be called back, the technician did the initial air puff test and reading the ABC chart.  Then she led me to a second waiting room and told me to wait until a room opened up.

The second waiting area had about 15 people in it!  I immediately asked if this was going to be a long wait.  Long story short, the technician went to find out how long this would take, and she came back to tell me that they were an hour and a half behind schedule!  Oh, heck no!

I told them that was "unacceptable" and "unprofessional" and said I would not be able to stay that long due to needing to pick up the kids from daycare.  I am so irritated because this is the second time I've rescheduled this appointment.  I made another appointment at a different office of theirs that is hopefully not as impacted as this one.  We'll see.

I was proud of voicing my opinion.  A lot of times I sit and bear it rather than let my displeasure be known.  I told them my time was valuable and I would not be sitting for an hour and a half past my appointment time.

Once Eric got home, we loaded up and headed to my favorite restaurant...Japanese Kitchen.  The kids entertain themselves while waiting to be seated.

 Family shot.  Evan looks high.  Hudson looks drugged.

 One more group shot.

 Onion volcano.  I love dinner and a show.

 Yum so yum!

 Fire, fire!

My plate of filet and lemon butter chicken.  The best part is leftovers for lunch at school tomorrow.

 Eric got me this 31 bag that I have been wanting!  I LOVE LOVE LOVE it!  It was the one gift I was hoping for!

 He also got me a Puma scarf which was totally unexpected!  I can't wait to wear it!  As warm as it has been here lately, it might be next winter before I'm wearing a scarf again!

Amanda made me another gift besides the party at school called a party in a box.  I didn't know what to expect, but there were streamers, blowers, party crowns, books, cupcake mix, frosting, an insert for my 31 bag, and more!  So much fun!  I can't wait to start reading the books.  I'm so enjoying reading again.  That sounds like a really dumb thing to say, but I'd just gotten away from reading books, and I'm so happy to be reading more than just the computer again.

It was a great start to my fourth decade.  I am so blessed to be surrounded by family and friends who bring joy to my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment