Monday, March 9, 2015

Weekend Wrap Up - Academic Decathlon

After months and months of practicing every single week, the Academic Decathlon competition finally is over!  And we killed it!

But first, I wasn't sure I was going to make it through the week.  I was so worn out and tired on Friday night.

 I was in pajamas by 6:30 and asleep on the couch by 7:45.  Eric told me to go to bed at 8.  And I did.  It was probably a good thing, because my alarm was set for 4 a.m. so that I could leave at 5 a.m. to drive to Bakersfield for the competition.

It's a good thing this girl is the best co-coach ever!  We work really well together.  Amanda is super organized, super energetic, and super fun!  We talked the entire way to Bakersfield.  I cannot wait for her wedding in just over two months.

The kids started arriving and to help keep nerves down, we took selfies and funny photos.




Our parents are the best and they provided food, treats, and gift bags for each of the kids!  They really liked these rubbery chick toys that lit up.  We kept telling the kids they could NOT play with them during the competition!

 I am going to miss this child so much when she graduates in May.

All of these kiddos are so amazing, smart, talented, and funny.  I'm going to miss them all.  At least the 7th graders will be with me next year.

 Such great smiles!

The first part of the competition is the logic test.  This year's test consisted of 20 different logic puzzles that included math, word games, and more.  It's a nightmare!  But it's my favorite! We have been working on logic since the summer with some of the kids who attended math camp.

The kids have to learn their strengths, the captain coordinates with the team to make sure every problem is being figured, and they have to transfer answers to one official sheet.  It's stressful.  When the kids were done with the test, they looked at us with big grins!  They said they answered every single problem.  That can be good or bad.  Sometimes they get over confident, or sometimes they know they got it!

In this case...they HAD it!  We got first in this test and beat the next team by 900 points!  (Insert major whoop whoop type screaming here!)



Normally, the competition is in the gym, and spectators are able to sit in the bleachers.  A little height makes for better pictures.  It was hard to get good shots of all the kids sitting around a table!

After the logic quiz, the kids break off into individual tests.  Eight out of the 10 kids have an individual test in algebra, literature, social studies, science, current events, religion, English, and fine arts.  The other two kids just hang out and eat!

Finally, the day wraps up with the Super Quiz.  The kids have studied five different topics, and the questions are asked out loud in front of the audience.  The captain holds up letters to indicate their answers and the scores are shown.  This wasn't our best area, but now we know where to improve upon for next year.

Besides our first place finish in logic, we placed 5th overall, and four of the kids earned a medal in their individual test.  We did FANTASTIC!  Amanda and I were excited from a coaching perspective because we did better this year than last (last year was 2nd in logic and 6th overall)

This was me, Amanda and our principal waiting for the results.  Amanda and I were sick to our stomach with nerves.  Patrick read a book!  He kept telling us that it was nice to just relax instead of worrying about results and coaching.  I told him to be quiet.  We joke, but he's a great principal who supports his entire school.

I can't tell you how proud and happy I am about our results.  Amanda and I drove home strategizing about next year.  The kids did such a great job, and I can't wait to get started.  Well, maybe I'll take a bit of time off to relax before jumping back into logic puzzle mode.

Oh, and Amanda and I were interviewed for ABC news in Bakersfield.  Here is the clip:



No comments:

Post a Comment