Friday, January 1, 2010

Are we the only ones?

Are we the only parents who have neurotic children who can't eat a banana if it accidentally breaks? Both of my children are like this. If the banana breaks during the peeling process, they refuse to eat it! I haven't been able to convince them that the integrity of the banana has not been compromised.

For this reason alone, I want to peel the banana - to ensure it comes out of its yellow wrapper in one piece. But of course my children are independent little buggers and want to peel it themselves.


The no longer edible banana from tonight.


Hudson refused to eat the "broken" part, but thank goodness he still wanted the larger portion of said fruit.

The sad thing is, I know they get this crazy behavior from me. I have plenty of neurosis of my own. One even involves a banana. I like bananas. They taste just fine. If someone was to peel a banana and give one to me, I would eat it. However, I NEVER choose to voluntarily eat a banana. I couldn't even begin to explain to you why that is the case. I have no idea. I just don't do it. I have nothing against them, but they are not my go to fruit.

On a completely unrelated note, today is my mom's 65th birthday. We celebrated by meeting at Logan's Roadhouse for lunch. I had a delicious onion butter steak. Yum. Luckily I ran 3 miles, so hopefully a portion of that was burned off. My mom brought party hats, a table centerpiece, and blowers! Evan and Hudson loved it! It was a nice way to spend the afternoon. Happy birthday Mom!

3 comments:

  1. Sophia will only eat the banana if she can peel it. I think it's because it's fun. And if I cut one in half for her and offer a half, she only wants the other.

    Happy Birthday to your Mom! My mom is 64 now. I can remember her turning 38 and now I'm almost there myself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crazy kids. And I bet Hudson learned to do it just cause Evan's got a thing about broken bananas, if they're anything like my boys anyway...drives me crazy when the older 2 take an odd dislike to something and then the little boys copycat that behavior, whether they really like whatever it is or not.

    Sidenote, we have those same PJs that Hudson is wearing, ha. I think those were a Costco purchase a few years ago. ; )

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have some odd issues like that as well. You know Skor candy bars? I really like them, but eat 2-3 a year maybe. I will not buy one that's broken, but I break it into pieces to eat it. Why, no idea?! And yes, I'm sure Hudson picked up on it b/c of Evan. We are constantly reminding Alayna (in particular) that anything she says is copied by her sisters. She's not allowed to say "I don't like steamed carrots" if they are on the dinner table b/c sure enough, then her sisters won't eat them either!

    ReplyDelete