Saturday, January 9, 2010

Race Day!

We were up and out of the house by 7 a.m. this morning because Evan and I were signed up for the Run the Dream race at Woodward Park.

Evan's race was first. Unlike the Pelco race in December where he came in first out of the entire pack, he was about the 6th kid through the chute. Because of that, Evan was pretty disappointed thinking that he wasn't going to get an award. He has a hard time understanding that you don't always win. We kept emphasizing how proud we were that he did his best. He calmed down after Daddy talked to him.

I ran my 2-mile race. I was pretty pleased with my time. According to my watch, I came in at 21:47! My average pace for the run was 10:55/mile. That's the fastest race I've done yet. Granted, my other races were 3.1 miles, so I don't know if I would have been able to keep up that pace for another mile, but in any case, I am pleased that I seem to be continually improving.

After running, we grabbed some snacks, the kids got their faces painted, and I found out that I won a raffle prize! I was planning to ask Eric to get me a running ID bracelet or shoe tag for my birthday, and now I have a $15 gift certificate towards one of those very items! Pretty cool!

Then they announced that the kids' results were in. Well, lo and behold, Evan managed to get 2nd place for the 5-year-old male division, so he ended up with a really cool trophy after all. I don't think he's put it down since he got it!


After waiting out in the cold for two hours, Evan finally got his trophy!


Mom and Hudson trying to stay warm.


Evan was getting a bit grumpy from having to wait so long and being cold. Hey, if I could have fit, I'd have huddled in the stroller as well!


Waiting.

I really love the atmosphere at races. I always run faster at a race than I ever do in training runs. Something about the excitement that pushes me along. It was a great way to start the morning.

Next race: February

1 comment: