Saturday, January 15, 2011

Google

I broke my streak of posting everyday. Thursday just threw me for a loop.

If I had posted on Thursday, this is what I would have told you:

I went to a Google workshop all day Thursday at the County Office of Education. It worked out perfectly, because I had to drop off a few science fair applications. I really don't like driving downtown unless I absolutely have to. Killed two birds with one stone.

Anyhow, the workshop was great. Two of my coworkers went as well. I never knew Google could do so much! It's pretty amazing, and I have a feeling we only just scratched the surface of what Google is capable of doing. Google's mission? To make the world's information universally accessible. I like that.


Learning new skills. Yay!

One neat thing we learned how to do was an archive search to find actual articles from scanned newspapers. While the teacher was talking, I decided to do a search on my own name.

Here is what I found: CLICK HERE

I started laughing when I realized this was a scanned copy of an article from the Merced Sun Star when I was 8 1/2-years-old! I wrote about the true meaning of Christmas. What a kick! There were only eight of us in the class, so I told the group what I found. The instructor got a kick out of that and said he was going to share that with future workshops!

I learned a lot and can't wait to share some of this stuff with my classes and other teachers. It's always good to get out of the classroom for a bit. It energizes me.


Rosa is our fourth grade teacher and resident health nut at school. This girl hasn't had a piece of candy in over three years! She gave it up for Lent one year and NEVER had another piece since. Personally, I think she took the whole Lenten concept a little too far!


Maria is the fifth grade teacher. She's been teaching forever. She's wonderful! She used to be a nun. She used to be the principal. Sometimes I still want to call her Sr. Maria.

Great workshop.

No comments:

Post a Comment