Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Science

I teach 7th and 8th grade science. It's fun. It's hard. Yesterday, I did some pretty cool experiments with both classes.

The 7th graders extracted DNA out of strawberries, and the 8th graders made a density rainbow. I am having fun planning new experiments and labs for the kids to do.


This is one of my 7th grade boys looking at the stringy DNA strands. I think the kids really enjoyed the experiment.


Here are two of my 8th graders experimenting with the liquids of different densities.


It worked! The different colored liquids with different densities did not mix!

I always breathe a sigh of relief when the labs go as expected. But hey, even when they don't, it's a great lesson in the reality of science.

One cool thing that has been happening lately is that Evan is very interested in science. For a few months now his answer to the question of 'what do you want to be when you grow up?' has been a scientist! I think I need to start doing some easy at home science experiments to keep that interest piqued.

On a separate note, I am quite happy to have tomorrow off! I am heading to bed now with dreams and visions of sleeping in...if Hudson allows it!

No comments:

Post a Comment