Friday, November 27, 2009

Turkey Trot

I have decided to enter as many races as I can to keep myself motivated to exercise. Yesterday morning was race #2! Eric was a great sport and was up at 5:45 right along with me...ON THANKSGIVING MORNING! Even I couldn't believe that we were up and out of the house by 7 a.m. on Turkey Day!

We drove over to Woodward Park to join the other crazies for a morning jog. I even saw some people I knew! Former parents and students of mine!


Trying to stay warm while waiting for the race to start.

At 8 a.m. they shouted, "Go," and we were off through the park. I felt really good for the first 1/2 mile.


Still feeling good at this point. I love it that Eric was there with me and got photos!


Pony tail goes one way...


...and then the other way!

Then I started to panic because the park has HILLS! I have never run a hill. At all. I "train" on the flattest ground in Clovis that you'll ever find. You have to look hard to find hills here in the valley. All the hills are at Woodward Park! Who knew?! I guess I need to start using the incline setting on my treadmill.


I am heading up the hill in this photo. I am between the two groups of people. I did okay on this hill. Then it went downhill from there...hee hee hee! (I wished it was all downhill from there!)

I managed to run some of the hills, but they started kicking my butt. I had to stop and walk the inclines, and then I ran the declines.

The BEST part was when I came around one corner and saw Eric and the boys. That really boosted my spirits! I had to laugh at myself though. When I passed Eric the first time, he was amongst tons of other spectators. When I finally made the loop around the park and came back to where he was standing, he was one of about three spectators left! He stayed put and waited for me to come back though! I am SLOW! But it's okay. I did it. I stuck with it!


A mile later and coming back around the loop where Eric and the boys were some of the only spectators left. You can tell by the look on my face that I was feeling a bit tired at this point, and I still had just under a mile to go. Ugh!


But every time I saw Eric and the boys, it made my day!


Eric said I was looking at Hudson in this photo. At one point, I told Evan to run with me, so he ran for about 20 feet with me! I can't wait until he can do full races with me!


Back on the grass. The finish line is soooo close!

According to my watch, I finished in about 40:14. That is about 40 seconds slower than my first race last month. However, that race was COMPLETELY flat and I ran the entire way. This race had hills, and I stopped to walk several times. I like to think that I actually did better given all that!

In any case, I had a great time, felt good, loved having my family there, and think it is a GREAT way to start the holiday. I think this might be a new tradition! Eric is soooo excited at the thought of getting up early on Thanksgiving next year!


Note to my boys: I know it seems like Mom has gone a bit nutty running all the time and entering races that start early in the morning. However, I am doing this for me and for you! This makes me a better mommy. Hopefully I am more patient, happier, and better able to handle all that life throws at us. Just bear with me as I leave you guys for an hour or so to do my run. I love you both more than the moon and stars.


Note to my amazing husband: Thank you for always supporting me in all that I do. Thank you for getting up at 5:45 a.m. to get ready for a crazy race on a day meant for lounging in the morning. Thank you for getting me a treadmill so I don't have to run around the cul de sac because I am too much of a chicken to run around the neighborhood in the dark. Thank you for not rolling your eyes when I tell you I want to someday run a marathon. Thank you for saying, "Go ahead," when I tell you I want to enter another race. Thank you for being the amazing man that you are! I love you more than the moon and the stars and candy!

Race #3 is next Saturday. It is back at Fresno State, so I am eager to see if I will improve my time over my first race.

3 comments:

  1. Hooray! I'm so proud of you! I saw you had such great pics and its like I wanted to yell...GO HEATHER!! What a wonderful thing to do. I'm just bursting with smiles for you and all you have accomplished with this. I think its fantastic your time was consistent (which is great) but given the hills, it was better. Now I'm so interested to see how it goes next week! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pics! Way to go--I think your time is awesome considering those unexpected hills! (And you & Eric both are looking really good too!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job and great pictures! Very cute running outfit I might add... you know what's important. LOL!

    ReplyDelete