Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Christmas is Coming

I sent Hudson to daycare this morning so Evan and I could enjoy a day with just the two of us. The day started out badly, but got better. Suffice it to say, Evan threw a few fits, I threw a few fits, and then we got over it. But this post isn't really about that. It's about the two of us seeing a movie (Planet 51), playing Chutes and Ladders, doing homework, and starting to decorate the house for Christmas.

The only problem with decorating was that I couldn't find the key to open the shed which houses all the Christmas decorations. We didn't get started until Eric got home at 3:30. We pulled a few boxes out and got busy.

I always forget just how much Christmas stuff I have. And I love all my Christmas stuff. But I have another problem this year. Our house has changed since last year. We don't have the same furniture configurations as we did in the past which means less space for displaying my decorations.

Evan and I were forced to stop decorating because we had to get Hudson. Then we had to eat dinner, take baths, and snuggle. I ended the day by pulling out as many Christmas boxes from the shed as I could find in the dark.


There are 8 boxes waiting to be unpacked tomorrow, plus the tree in the large body bag looking thing on the floor! And these were the only boxes I could see in the dark. Who knows what I may have forgotten out there?


I cleared off the shelves, dusted, and packed away everyday decor. Evan pulled out Christmas stuff and stuck it on a shelf or the floor. This bookcase obviously isn't done!

I have yet another problem. We have inherited many plants over the past year. First with dad dying we got a bunch of his plants. Then with Eric in the hospital, we got a bunch more. I'm not really sure where these plants are going to live for the month of December. Big leafy plants just don't say "Tis the Season" to me.


Hmmmm. Where shall you beauties live for the next month?


The spot where the Christmas Tree will go. Eric had to move the DVD cabinet to make room for the tree. But now I have to find a new home for the rocking horse and exercise equipment, not to mention the random toys that migrate out here from the playroom. I need to have a stern talking with those toys about staying in the playroom when we leave the house. Silly toys.


This is the last problem I will talk about...for now. Last year we did not have fish, or a fishtank, or fish food. Now we do. And the fish live in the spot where my Christmas Bears usually spend the month of December. The fish just aren't the Christmasy look I was going for! I think I need to drape their tank in garland or something.

The house is going to look fine once it is all done, but it won't look like it has for the past 6 years. Another big change is that we turned our living room into the exercise room. We have a giant treadmill and elliptical sitting in the middle of the room. Not much I can do about that. It just won't be the pretty Christmas sitting room from the past.

Anyhow, Christmas is slowly getting there. Evan asked me today why I put Christmas up when it is Thanksgiving. I tried to explain to him that I have a week off now...not after Thanksgiving. It is so much easier to get all this stuff done now while I am off rather than on a weekend in December. He didn't seem satisfied with that answer, but he was happy to help decorate.

I can remember my mom pulling out all the decorations as a kid, and I'd get excited in remembering my favorite ones. Well, Evan was doing that today as he pulled things out of boxes. It was sweet to see. Hopefully I'll post completed pictures tomorrow. However, tomorrow I'll have two little helpers. We'll see how far we get with Hudson helping us out!

No comments:

Post a Comment