Saturday, November 14, 2009

Red Ribbon Week

The week before Halloween, my school celebrated Red Ribbon Week. The week was filled with crazy dress up days, activities, and fun! The teachers all swapped classes and got to teach a lesson in a different grade. I drew Kindergarten!

I didn't tell Evan I was coming in to teach his class, so he was pretty excited to find out that I'd be teaching him in the afternoon!

I decided to do a Noah's Ark/Rainbow/No Drugs theme! And believe me, I made it work! We started out talking about Noah's Ark. Then I reminded the kids that God created a rainbow as a promise to never flood the earth like that again.

Then I had the kids trace their hands on different colored papers. I glued all the cut-out hands onto a big butcher paper to make a rainbow. Then we talked about how God wants us to always take care of our bodies. I taught them the phrase, "Kindergarten says...Don't do drugs!" We practiced that a bunch of times.

Good times in kindergarten. Most of Evan's little friends knew who I was, but now all the kindergarten kids wave and yell, "Hi Mrs. Forcey," as I walk by in the halls.


Blurry picture, but Evan is on the far right cutting out his hands.


Happy boy.


All the kids with the rainbow poster on the whiteboard in the background. Evan is to the far right. He was helping to cut out one girl's hand. She was a bit scissor challenged.

I can truly say that one hour in kindergarten is about all I can or want to handle! Sure the kids are cute, but they are so little. I even managed to make one kid cry because I wouldn't give him the color he wanted. Mean Mrs. Forcey. But hey, I didn't let any other kid pick either. They all knew, "You get what you get, and you don't throw a fit." Apparently this kid forgot the rule.

I'll hang with junior high any day, but it was great being able to teach in Evan's class for a small change.

1 comment: