Saturday, January 24, 2009

Will I Ever Learn?



I have a 16-month-old. That fact alone should keep me involved in some very stringent habits. However, I never seem to learn. Let me explain.

A couple of weeks ago, I walked out to the garage from our kitchen. I happened to look down, and lying on the doormat in the garage was my WEDDING RING!!! I think I screamed. I promptly stuck my ring on my finger and berated myself for not putting my jewelry away properly in my beautiful jewelry box.

I had left the ring on the bathroom counter, and the wee one affectionately known as Chicken must have moved it for me. I didn't see this happen, so I have no definitive proof, but there aren't many other suspects in the house who would do that. Evan just didn't touch stuff the way my second child is prone to do. I shudder to think of how I would have felt if I hadn't come across my ring in the GARAGE on the GROUND. I would have felt worse than awful.


Don't believe the innocence of this sweet little face. I think I'm going to rename him Sticky Fingers.

Fast forward to yesterday morning. I wanted to wear my sapphire earrings. They were my gift from Eric after delivering Hudson in the month of September (hence the sapphire birthstones. I have opal earrings for having Evan in October). I couldn't find my sapphires. I was a bit panicky, but figured they would turn up.

I didn't think much more about it until this morning when I realized that they weren't in the usual spots: my nightstand, the bathroom counter or the kitchen counter. I honestly could not remember the last time I had them in my ears, but I usually only remove my earrings in the bathroom (I don't like to shower with jewelry) or once I'm in bed (I don't like to sleep with jewelry).

I didn't want to tell Eric, so I asked him, "Hey Honey, have you seen any jewelry of mine in an unusual spot?" I know, I know, real subtle. He asked which jewelry. I said I didn't want to tell him. He asked which jewelry. I told him.

I just had a feeling that the last time I wore them I went to bed and took them out and put them on my nightstand. They weren't there, but then I remembered son #2 and his penchant for grabbing things off flat surfaces over his head. Hmmm, I thought. could he be responsible for this mystery?

I got down on my hands and knees on my side of the bed and proceeded to find one earring. Great. One earring. Better than nothing, but not the outcome I was hoping for. Eric got me a flashlight. I widened the search to the entire side of my bed. After all of us searched for about 10 minutes, I finally found the second earring on the floor down by the foot of my bed.

I was so relieved. For obvious reasons, my sapphires and opals are extremely meaningful to me. I would have been devastated to lose them.

I am hoping I have learned my lesson. Put the jewelry in the jewelry box. ALWAYS. No exceptions. I could wait for Hudson to grow up, but I may lose a lot of jewelry in the process.

Oh, and rest assured. I took the earrings out of my ears to take a picture of them and promptly put them back in my ears. I am not leaving them on the kitchen table overnight. I also took a picture of them in my ears, but I couldn't bring myself to post a picture of my ear on the blog!

1 comment: