Saturday, January 17, 2009

No Training Wheels!


Evan learned to ride his bike today with no training wheels. We decided to take a family bike ride this afternoon. I led the line with Hudson in a bike seat on my bike. Evan rode his Diego bike with training wheels behind me. Dad brought up the rear.

At one point in our journey through the neighborhood I suggested to Eric that we head back home and take the training wheels off to see how Evan would do. It turns out he had been thinking the same thing.

We got home, Eric removed the trainers, I gave Evan a few directions, I chased him around the cul de sac one time, and he was off and riding! It was amazing to see him take off and stay upright.

We had to do a few mini lessons on the art of starting and stopping. Evan is as proud as a peacock to say the least. I think it's easier for him riding the bike with no training wheels than it was with them on.

We are really proud of our little monkey.


Here I am pushing Evan along to get him started.


I looked like a complete goober running like a monkey behind Evan as he gained his balance.


I'm just about ready to let go of him.


He's doing it! He's doing it!


Looking pretty confident!

I have a strong suspicion that a lot of family bike rides are in our near future!

3 comments:

  1. That is sooo exciting!! Way to go Evan!! My brother learned super young too and sped everywhere. It is a lot easier without the training wheels once they get it. How fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is awesome! I think Lilly could go without, if we didn't have snow on the ground right now! LOL Congrats to him and I cannot wait to see the pics!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, the pics are even better! That is so great! And you do not look like a goober...hahaha

    ReplyDelete