Monday, December 8, 2008

I misplaced my brain

Yes, you read that right. Yesterday I misplaced my brain. That's the only explanation as to why I would dare to venture out into the madness by myself with two small children. I guess I figured I am a competent and able person. No big deal. I just wanted to pick up a few presents for Eric from the boys. Eric wasn't feeling well, so even better for us to leave for a bit and give him quiet time to rest. And then it all fell apart.

We made it to the mall. I strapped Hudson into the little umbrella stroller. Mistake #1. I should have had the large, heavy-duty stroller which would contain the small child in a sturdier fashion. I then let Evan push said stroller. Mistake #2. What, am I crazy? It's Christmas time and there are only about 42 million people roaming around the mall. Evan's chipper mood lasted all of 86 seconds. Hudson's mood went sour shortly thereafter. Evan wanted to go the candy store. Hudson wanted to get out of his stroller.

Normally I wouldn't let Hudson out, because as any mom knows, the minute you let them out, it is next to impossible to get them back in. But the child was about to cut off the blood circulation to his lower half by leaning so far out of the stroller. Not to mention the fact that his brother hanging out the stroller did nothing to slow Evan down or keep from crashing his brother's body into every aisle display in sight.

Against my better judgment, I let Hudson out. Mistake #3. Then Evan wanted to ride. Um okay. Mistake #4. I guess I was lying to myself in believing that Hudson might actually hold my hand and walk calmly beside me as I pushed his 4-year-old brother through the sardine-packed mall. Like I said...brain misplaced. I ended up carrying the 1-year-old while pushing the 4-year-old with one hand. Not so easy to do while also trying to balance a purse and packages bought at the store.

We did our shopping at one department store. I then made it about 14 steps into the mall before turning around and high tailing it right out of there. I guess I found my brain sitting under a poinsettia plant! I was smart enough not to let Evan get a glimpse of Santa and then beg to see him. Yeah right. The line was a bit long. I wasn't going to put myself through that torture without involving my husband in the fun!

We managed to make it home in one piece. Barely. I am pretty sure I am thinking clearly again. At least clearly enough to never do THAT again.

2 comments:

  1. LOL! What a mess, although I'd be lying if I hadn't been there. That's the one plus when I have 3 instead of 2 is at least I have one that can tackle down any escape's. Last year I got to the point I avoided anything if I couldn't have both STRAPPED DOWN! Meaning Sam's club double carts, The carts at store with two seats to drive, any of that A+ if it didn't I avoided it or got a sitter. It always ended in caous! Way to make it out without losing anyone or going nuts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can totally see you going through the mall, too! And if your umbrella stroller is like mine (and most others) it's near impossible to drive with one hand. The wheels all turn funny and won't even stay straight. Ugh. Been there, done that. That's what we get for doing nice things for our hubby with the kids in tow. I honestly don't know if Andy has ever taken all 3 kids to the store or mall by himself! He'd be a WRECK!

    ReplyDelete