Wednesday, December 24, 2008

At least he knows the Christmas story

We spent Christmas Eve as we always do in Chowchilla with my parents. It was a great day of playing games, eating, and laughing. At 5:15, all 10 of us trooped off to the Christmas Eve service at the little Lutheran Church on the corner. The same Lutheran church that I grew up in and to which I owe my religious background.

The church hasn't changed in 30-plus years. It's still itty bitty. What has changed is the fact that I am now Catholic. It cracked me up when my 4-year-old automatically made the sign of the cross when the pastor said, "Let's pray." Another thing that is a bit different from our super large Catholic church is the interaction with the pastor/priest. Let's just say that unless you are attending the Friday school Mass, there isn't a whole lot of interaction with the priest during Mass. Not so with the Lutheran pastor tonight.

He decided to show us several painted depictions of the Nativity. Then he started asking questions. Well, Evan was certainly not shy about yelling out his answers...loudly. When the pastor asked who was next to Jesus in one particular painting, Evan started shouting, "It's Mary! It's Mary!" Not one to step out of the limelight, the child continued. "They are in the stable. There's the shepherds. There's Joeseph."

At this point, people were chuckling and looking at the kid. But I was starting to panic. I just knew the next thing out of his mouth was going to be, "They are in the stable with the stinky animals." Last year when I was trying to explain what a stable was to the then 3-year-old, I told him it was a place for stinky animals. I guess I was trying to impress upon him that Mary did not have Jesus in a clean hospital, but rather outdoors amongst the livestock. In hindsight, I should not have used the term "stinky animals." For a while that was the only part of the story Evan could recall, much to my embarrassment.

Luckily Evan did not shout out that part of the story. I did have to tell him to pipe down. I think the pastor was getting irked that the child was giving away all the answers. I am glad that he knows the Christmas story. We have progressed beyond the stinky animals to understanding that we are celebrating Jesus' birth.

Merry Christmas to all. I hope your day tomorrow is filled with love, laughter, family, and happiness (and no stinky animals).

P.S. Santa has already arrived at our house. Then the baby woke up. Eric brought him out here to pour him some milk. The 15-month-old looked in awe at the Christmas Tree with all the presents. I told Hudson not to ruin the surprise for his brother. Luckily, the kid can't talk, so I think his brother will still be surprised in the morning.

1 comment:

  1. Awe, that is so cute about the Mass. Or whatever they call it if you are Lutheran. They should all be impressed with his knowledge!! I am!! I think its hilareous he remember the 'stinky animals' part. I've tried to impress on my boys too that its not a nice place that's why we point out 'where' it all happened. Ya, we pretty much have to go right to some random detail. Someday they'll get it better. I hope.

    ReplyDelete