Monday, March 14, 2016

A Pretty Crummy Ordeal

I haven't had the easiest of weeks.  I can't discuss the details here, but we had a major issue at school that had to be dealt with on Monday and it left me exhausted.

Tuesday through Thursday were just busy with school and night time practices and meetings.

Then on Thursday night I started feeling stomach pain twinges.  This happened to me a few weeks ago after a day of really bad eating and I narrowed it down to too much dairy in one day.  I thought maybe this was the same thing happening again.

I went to bed but was up every hour in the bathroom (sorry TMI, but it's life) and dealing with horrible stomach cramping that felt like knives in my gut.  I took two children's Pepto tablets (it's all we had and it worked last time), but it didn't help at all.

I got up in the morning intending to go to work, but after feeling weak in the shower, I knew there was no way I was going to make it through a day at school.

The pain continued to get even worse throughout the morning and I was running a fever.  My symptoms seemed to be pointing at something more severe than bad food.  I was scared it could be appendicitis, intestinal blockages or any number of stomach troubles.  Eric and I made the decision to go to the ER.  We didn't know we were in for the longest day ever. Ugh.

So tired after being up all night.  It's hard to sleep in an ER waiting room.

When they called me back to triage, I at least got a reclining chair.  I tried to curl up in that chair to sleep.

It took over an hour and a half to be called back the first time.  They took blood (I cried the whole time) and gave me pain meds, anti spasm meds, and anti nausea meds.  The medicine definitely helped with the pain.  I could  have stayed in my reclining chair under a blanket for the rest of the day, but they sent me out to the waiting room.  Ugh.

Long story short: they sent me in and out three times.  They mishandled my first urine sample, so I had to do that again.  Hard to pee when you are completely dehydrated.  It was suggested that I would get an IV, but that never happened.  I'm not sure why they didn't do this for me.  I hadn't had anything to drink all day and was feeling terrible.  It took two hours to get me to the CT scan.

We ended up being in the ER for 8 1/2 hours!  I was so tired, exhausted, and in pain that I was in tears at various points.  They finally called me back to tell me I had acute stomach pain, but there seemed to be no apparent reason.  Great.

The only good things are that I don't have a more serious problem like appendicitis and I got medicine.  Still, it was a pretty bad day.

I'm home, sleeping a lot, and still dealing with a bit of pain.  I think it is time to take a serious look at my diet.  No sweet, fatty or comfort food is worth the pain and misery I am experiencing.

I really need the next two weeks to proceed without bumps.  I am going to pray for two weeks of steady, easy going days!

No comments:

Post a Comment