Saturday, October 24, 2009

Race for the Cure


I did something today I have never done before in my life. I ran a 5K which is 3.1 miles. I ran the entire way, I finished in under 45 minutes, and I wasn't in last place! Those were my three goals. Did it! The picture above was just before leaving the house.


At Fresno State at the starting line waiting for the race to start.


Off I go. The last time I remember being in a race was around 4th grade or so. The coach had me run the 2 mile, and I thought I was going to die. Running has never come easy to me.


Heading for the home stretch!


I just spotted my sister taking my picture!


And this is why I did this! I came across the finish line, saw my mom, and burst into tears! I wasn't expecting to do that! It was just so emotional to be there, run the race, and know it was for a purpose other than myself.

It was amazing to be a part of something so large. It didn't matter that I am pokey slow. It didn't matter that I've never done this before. I was proud that I finished something I said I'd do. It really was a neat experience that I'll be sure to repeat.

Now onto the next race. I plan to run the Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving morning. Should be fun!

4 comments:

  1. Wow, Heather--I'm so PROUD of you!!! Way to go!!! That's awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay Heather!! I am so, so, so, so proud of you! You are inspiring me. I just may have to break out the old gym shoes...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the picture with your mom! Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving morning, sounds fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heather, you did fantastic! I'm so proud of how hard you've been working. And what a great cause to help you achieve your goals!

    ReplyDelete