Monday, November 10, 2008

Business as usual

Here are pictures of us at the Fair. Hudson spent his time in a backpack, and Evan loved raking straw.



I meant to post this particular story last week after the chaos happened, but almost a week later, here it is.

I picked Evan up from school, and he immediately started in with his usual plea of, "Can I have a popsicle when I get home?" I didn't really answer him so he started whining and screaming. Not fun. Then he asked me if we were going to get Hudson. Yes, of course. "I don't want to get Hudson! He bites me!" I talked to him about how I understood what it is like to be the older sibling.

We went to the grocery story first, and he insisted on walking 10 paces behind me. Frustrating to say the least with me having to turn my head every 4 seconds to make sure he was still there.

We finally get Hudson and head home. This is where it all fell apart. Evan decided to run in the house without waiting for me. No big deal expect that the alarm is triggered when you run in. I turn the alarm off with my key-fob, but somehow in my long journey from the driver seat around the the passenger seat to get Hudson, I couldn't find my keys. Don't ask me where they went. As soon as I heard the chirping of the alarm, I started panicking trying to find the keys. I looked like a mad woman jumping in and out of the car. Well, the alarm went off. Evan came running back out to the garage screaming in terror, "Hurry! Hurry!" Since the alarm was blaring, I figured I'd take my time and CALMLY look for the keys. I found them and shut off the alarm.

Once inside, I grabbed the phone and hung onto it waiting for the alarm company to call. Instead Eric called. I guess they called him first. He knew we were fine because I had just talked to him before getting home, but he called me to see what was going on. As I'm trying to have a conversation with him, Hudson trips over his own feet and does a face plant into the wood floor. He busted his lip open and there was blood everywhere. Lovely. He's screaming, I'm trying not to get blood on my school clothes, and I still have Eric on the phone. I got Hudson cleaned up, but then Evan decided he wanted to play with his Legos. He refused to wait for me to pull them off the counter, and pulls on the box himself. Three hundred miniature Legos went flying all across the kitchen floor.

Very calmly I told Eric that I was going to take the baby and go into our bedroom and shut the door. It was that or lose my temper all over Evan. I did just that. I closed my bedroom door, got in my bed, and stayed there until I heard Eric in the house about 5 minutes later! Hudson had a ball wandering around our bedroom getting into stuff, but I didn't care, as long as he didn't have anything sharp!

The alarm, bloody lip, and Legos all in less than 5 minutes. I was at my wit's end. Like I said, business as usual.

1 comment:

  1. What a disaster!! I can't believe you managed to not yell. I'd have been screaming orders on top of it all and losing my mind. I do however find it kind of amusing that Evan actually asked to NOT go get Hudson. What a riot. That's funny he even asked. Ahh sibling. ;)

    ReplyDelete