Saturday, February 20, 2010

SJCL Race

We got up this morning and headed to the San Joaquin College of Law race in downtown Clovis. (I went to law school here for a year and a half.) It was the first running I have done in over a week since my sinus infection last weekend. It hurt, but it also felt good to be back out running and trying.

Evan ran the kid's race. He ended up coming in first place in the 5-year-old boy's division. He's a speedy little guy!


I caught Evan mid-yawn. These races aren't super early, but we had already been up for a few hours by this point!


Evan is #210. He looks so little standing in between those two bigger kids.


Evan was super anxious about the race this morning. He didn't want to go to the starting line until the man called his number. Well, they never do that. They either call for age brackets or they call for all kids. We finally got him to leave us and go stand at the start. He still looks nervous, though.


Evan flew by so fast the camera could barely capture his image!


He made it to the finishing chute looking pretty weary.


Evan hasn't learned the fine art of being a good sport just yet. We are working on it. He was close to crying because he didn't enter the chute first (like the time he did at the Pelco race back in December). He also doesn't understand that while all the kids run together, the medals are given out for both boys and girls at each age level 3-9.


And he wins first place! This makes 2 first place finishes and 1 second place finish. Pretty good running career so far!


Evan needs a case for all his trophies and medals that he's stacking up.


Then it was time for my race. I am wearing black pants and a light blue top near the center of the photo. I am just to the right of two ladies wearing bright yellow-orange shirts.

I started off well. Then I slowed down considerably. My chest was burning. I think it was because of being sick last week and not training for so many days. It's hard to rebuild your stamina.


Evan got a pretty good shot of me near the finish line. According to my Garmin, I finished 1.96 miles in 23:42. Not my best by a long shot. Still, I was happy I came in under 24 minutes.


Evan and I share a hug after a good morning of racing.

As always, thank you to Eric who stands around for 2 hours while Evan and I do this racing thing. I'm sorry I took your jacket out of the car, Honey.

Maybe I will sign up for next weekend's race! It felt good to be motivated again.

5 comments:

  1. Way to go, Evan! You have quite the little champion on your hands! : )

    On a tangent here, it's so motivating to the kids to get that medal, isn't it? I am SO annoyed with the gymnastics meets that don't give the boys any kind of medal...especially when I found out just how inexpensive those medals are (I bought a couple for my boys myself after the meets didn't award them!)

    Anyway, awesome job, Evan!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and not to leave you out--way to go Heather! I'm not sure I would have felt up to running a race after being out sick myself, so big kudos to you for doing it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carol - I totally agree about the medals. Evan absolutely cherishes them. We are planning to get him some sort of a display case. I would be irritated if I were you about the boys not getting them for meets. They deserve them. It is something tangible to show off how hard they have worked.

    BTW, after my race I started wheezing and coughing. I just happened to have an appt. at the allergist. The second he heard me, he gave me a nebulizer treatment and I'm not on asthma medication! Good grief.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That should have said "I'm NOW on asthma medication."

    ReplyDelete
  5. nice story mam...great kid!

    http://gambarankasar.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete