Sunday, February 21, 2010

Asthma?

After running yesterday, I started wheezing and coughing. I just happened to have an appointment scheduled with the allergist. He heard me wheeze and ordered an asthma test.

I had to blow into a funny tube for as long as I could. I did this three times. Then they gave me a nebulizer treatment. Then I had to do the blowing thing three more times. The test showed that I do not have classic asthma, but the doctor is treating me as if I do.

He now has me on an asthma preventative. It's the same one Eric (who has terrible asthma) is on. I also have my very own inhaler. It's about time I got my own inhaler (just kidding). Everyone else in this family has inhalers, I guess it was my turn sooner or later.

The doctor also wanted me to get a chest X-ray which I did today at the hospital. He is worried about walking pneumonia. He was starting to scare me when he asked me if I'd recently been out of the country or had unexplained symptoms like fever or night sweats.

Um, I have night sweats, but I think that is because I'm hot. The doctor didn't share my technical diagnosis for my p.m. sweating. I'm just glad I got the X-ray done, and it was a fast procedure with little waiting. I had to register in the E.R., which was icky, but other than that the ordeal was easy.

I guess I'll know this next week if I have pneumonia. In the meantime I'll be taking my new "asthma" medicine.

No comments:

Post a Comment