Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Time

It is amazing to me how time can change things so quickly. You can be bumping along with things going great, and in a blink of an eye, bad things can happen. It can also be the opposite with times being tough, but then looking up for the better.

I think back just 15 days ago to Evan's Pre-K graduation. In that same week we enjoyed the graduation at my school, went to a party, got a few things done around the house, and looked forward to the start of summer.

Then the unthinkable happened. My dad was taken to the hospital on Monday, June 8 because he was in tremendous pain, and his legs were swollen. We were concerned, but certainly not in a panic. Dad had been taken to the hospital for pain before. Surely he would be fine. Only he wasn't fine.

He died of heart failure due to sepsis by 11 p.m. that night. I have been in shock for over a week. It is simply too hard to understand that my dad is no longer here. My babies will not see their grandpa until we meet again in heaven. It's just a reality I don't want to be in right now.

Needless to say, it has been a difficult week. The one silver lining is that we were able to see friends and family that we have not seen in years. Reconciliations happened. It was amazing to witness. There was so much love and support surrounding my family, you were almost able to touch it.

I know this is a sad post, but there were many moments of laughter over the past week. One thing I found funny is my Uncle Mike telling Hudson to, "Use your big words," every time Hudson would grunt and point. Then Uncle Mike would say, "Oh, those are your big words!" It was wonderful for my extended family to meet my children. Now we need to keep in touch and not wait for another tragedy to bring us all together.

I am going to post the eulogy I gave for my dad at his memorial service in the next post.

2 comments:

  1. Heather, I'm so sorry again for the loss of your dad. That's so hard, especially when it happens so suddenly--don't have time to prepare yourself so it does become a shock.

    I just realized an odd coincidence....my stepmom also died on June 8th, 4 years ago. I don't know the exact time of her death but it did happen pretty close to 11pm too...crazy weird, huh?

    Hugs to you & your family. I'm glad you were able to find things to laugh and smile about in the midst of it all too. : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carol - That is a strange coincidence! June 8 is not such a good day for us now. It may sound silly to say, but it doesn't seem like people should die in the summer when it is bright and sunny and cheerful outside. It just doesn't go hand in hand. I know people die all the time, but it seems better suited for gray cloudy months of winter.

    ReplyDelete