Monday, May 17, 2010

Embarrassed



I embarrassed my five-year-old last week. The telling of this story is much funnier in person because it involves me making hand gestures, but I'll do my best to get the "funny" part across.

The entire school was at Mass, and it had just finished. My class sits directly behind the kindergarten class, which means I was about five pews back from Evan. He happened to turn around and look at me, so I flashed him the "I love you" sign in sign language.

Evan looked at me with a look of utter horror and embarrassment. He shook his head "no" several times and tried to avoid my gaze.

I was stunned that he was refusing my heartfelt gesture of "I love you," so I did what any rational mother does who has been rebuked...I poured it on thicker! I "re-sent" my sign language "I love you," but this time I threw my arm out with much more force, just in case Evan misunderstood me the first time!

This time, Evan looked at me with a rather pitying look on his angel face and simply turned around.

I sat in stunned disbelief that my firstborn child was turning his back on me! He was ignoring my message of love. He wanted no part of the good feelings coming out of my heart!

See if I offer public displays of affection anymore! And by that I mean that I'll just double my efforts!

What can I say? I just love my babies.

No comments:

Post a Comment