Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Crazy Kid

Two mornings ago Evan threw a fit to end all fits. He wanted Captain Crunch cereal for breakfast. We said no. The cereal is for Eric. Evan didn't like the negative answer, so he stood in the kitchen a 6:55 a.m. and screamed at the top of his lungs. I wanted to smack him. I refrained. Let's just say it wasn't a good morning, and the child got his blanket and Game Boy taken away.

We somehow manage to get to school on time. We even make it to the end of the school day. After school Evan runs up to tell me that he was the "chosen one" to get a prize out of the Treasure Box for being such a good boy all day!

I just told him how proud I was of him for pulling it together after such a tough morning. He said, "Yeah, I just had to get rid of my tears." I thought, "Yeah, me too."

This kid is slowly making me crazy.

My mother found this next story amusing. Evan still comes into our room in the middle of the night, but he doesn't get in our bed. He kicks Bandit out of his dog bed and lays in there to sleep. The only problem with this is that Bandit no longer has a place to sleep, so he starts pacing around our bed trying to get up to rest.

Our room has laminate flooring, so if Bandit is pacing around the bed, all we hear is "click click click" as his nails hit the floor. Not fun at 4 a.m. (Bandit can't get enough traction off the floor to jump up to our bed.)

We have had this talk with Evan before, but in the morning I reminded him about the new and ever changing rules regarding bothering us in the night.

Mom: Evan, you know we told you to put Bandit up in our bed if you come in to our room and sleep in his bed.

Evan: But I wanted Bandit to sleep with me in his bed.

Mom: There isn't enough room for both of you in the dog bed.

Evan: Bandit didn't want me to lift him up to your bed.

Mom: I don't care. You outweigh him by 30 pounds. If you come in our room and take over Bandit's bed, you need to put him in our bed.

Evan: Fine.

I feel like I must be the only mother in the world who has to have these bizarre conversations. Who in the world has to remind their child to put the dog in the big bed so he can sleep in the dog's bed? Me, apparently!

No comments:

Post a Comment