Monday, September 7, 2009

Allergic

We had Evan tested for allergies on Saturday morning. This kid is such a trooper. He's never been afraid of shots, needles or doctors. If anything, he loves to prove how brave he is by sticking his arm out to receive the needle. I've always been amazed by him.

We explained to him how the nurse was going to draw on his back and "scratch" him to see which things might cause an allergic reaction. He was a little nervous, but once she rolled the eight different trays over his back (40 tests in all), he sat there giggling!

His only issue was that he couldn't see his back to know what was going on. We helped him out by taking a picture.



It turns out that Evan is allergic to quite a few things including trees, cockroaches, dogs, dust and grasses. This really isn't that surprising given the fact that both of his parents are allergic to over 100 things each, and his father has asthma to boot. Both of the kids' odds of having allergies/asthma are quite high.

We decided to go ahead with shot therapy. At first I felt a little guilty knowing my almost 5-year-old is going to be getting allergy shots. After talking to the doctor, however, I think it is the right thing to do.

The earlier you start shots (5 is the earliest age) the better chance there is of preventing further allergies from developing. Just because Evan isn't allergic to everything right now doesn't mean he won't be later. I remember my allergies didn't really kick in until I was in 3rd grade. Then they kicked in with a vengeance.

Also, Evan has no problem getting shots. We won't be fighting him each week to have this done. I don't think Hudson would tolerate this quite so well. I have a hunch that Hudson will be more allergic to things than Evan. He already shows signs of asthma where Evan doesn't.

I was so proud of Evan and the way he handled his appointment. Way to go Peanut!

No comments:

Post a Comment