Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Evan-isms and more

This post will be sort of a catch-all of some interesting (to me anyhow) things said or done by the kids.

Today Evan was using the bathroom at home. As I walked by I heard him babbling. I poked my head in and asked him what he was doing. He said, "Nothing. I'm just praying. Talking to God." What a sweetheart!

While driving home from school Evan and I were teasing each other about him having to "stand on his line" after the morning bell rings. The kindergarten kids line up on the line and wait for Mrs. Clark to come and get them and lead them to class. Evan and I were bantering back and forth saying, "Go get on your line!" Suddenly he stopped and said, "It's not fair! The 7th graders don't have to get on a line. They stand in a circle!"

I busted up laughing. He's right! The younger grades all line up in a line near their classroom doors, but the 7th graders stand just to the side of the kindergarten class in a big lump socializing until I walk out to get them. I can't wait to tell my 7th graders tomorrow how Evan has noticed this. See, I'll tell them, the little kids REALLY pay attention to you big kids!

Hudson got in BIG trouble today. He bit Brooke on the back! Yikes! Granted, he was provoked when Brooke stole his toy, but still. Poor Brooke has a welt on her back, and Hudson even bit through her clothes. I used my deep voice and told him he was a bad boy. His little chin quivered and he burst into tears. Poor guy. He had a rough morning and a rough evening.

My dad has been gone for 3 months as of today. It's still very surreal. Since I didn't see my dad or even talk to him that often, I can sort of pretend that everything is fine. But it's not fine. I realized that it was three months earlier this evening. Then I cried. A lot. Then I called my mom. That helped. There's not much to say that hasn't been said. I just miss my dad.

We went out to eat a few days ago, and the kids got balloons. I hate bringing balloons into the house, so I was going to suggest that we let the balloons fly off to Grandpa. However, I didn't say that because I don't want to be overbearing with the Grandpa references. A few minutes later Hudson let go of his balloon. Evan informed me that the balloon was going up to Grandpa! I was stunned that he said the same thing I had just been thinking. It was a nice moment.

I am still trying to work my way up to a 5K. I can now run for five minutes straight without keeling over. I finished Week 5 Day 1 this evening. However, I have a feeling that many people QUIT during week 5. We go from nice little 5 minute jaunts to an 8 minute run on day 2 and a 20 minute run on day 3! Twenty minutes? We'll see how that goes on Saturday morning. I always tell Eric to come look for me if I don't return home by a certain time. Saturday might be the day he has to come looking for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment