Sunday, July 17, 2016

Summer Cycling

Eric and I are cyclists.

It sounds a little strange to say that, but given that we have over 100 miles so far this month, I think it is safe to say we cycle.  I'm not just pretending or half-heartedly joining in because of Eric.  I'm pretty into it myself.

We are training for the Lighthouse Ride in Morro Bay in September.  It's a 65 mile ride, so we need to continually and gradually add mileage so that I'm not hurting and bonking out at mile 40!

Not my photo, but hopefully this is a site I'll see when we ride at the coast in September.

Eric is in charge of getting the bikes ready.  I get myself ready and fill our water bottles.

My pretty blue bike with purple tape on the handle bars.

Yes, yes they do rock.  You can see behind me where the houses are being built in the once empty field across the street.  We typically leave early in the neighborhood of 5:30-6 a.m.  I like leaving that early because we beat the heat and we beat the traffic.

Ready to roll.

Almost!  My gear ready and waiting for me.

And now I'm ready!

Riding gloves, Fitbit, and Road ID in case of emergency. 

Last weekend we had a series of weird events.  Eric's shoe broke, we had to stop two miles in so he could deal with a problem at work, and I got a flat tire at about three miles in.  The ride felt doomed, but we pushed on and completed 32ish miles.  A few miles from home, Eric got a flat tire and I zipped home as fast as I could to get the car to come back for him!  I was riding like the wind! Heh!

On this weekend's ride, we didn't get a flat, but Eric had some problems with the beading on his tire.  It's where the tire slides into the frame of the metal part of the wheel.

While he fixed his tires, I took pictures.

It's not always easy being out on the road.

Tire scuff marks from stopping.  I really don't like being dirty.

I was better prepared with nutrition on this ride.  I ate three of these chews every 45 minutes.  I could usually feel a burst of energy pretty shortly after eating them.

We had to stop a second time because of the beading.  This time I parked it on a bench to take pictures.

We were on our way again.  We rode all the way down Willow to where it ends at Friant.  Then we climbed all the way up Friant to Woodward Park and did a few laps around the park.

Bathroom stop.

Collecting more dirt on my legs.  You can also see the edge of my bike shorts.  Bike shorts are really not flattering in any way because of the giant padding in them, but oh my stars does it ever make riding more comfortable!  I can't believe I used to ride without the puffy padded shorts!

Jamba Juice stop.

I was pretty wiped out after that ride.  But 34 miles under our belt is no small feat.  Then we decided to get up and ride another 16 on Sunday!

Sunnyside Breakfast Ride to the Blossom Trail Cafe.

I had a large orange juice as well, and oh it was sooooo good!  It was pretty warm on the ride.

Denver omelette, country potatoes, coffee, OJ, and toast.  So yummy!

Just us being us.

Back at the bike shop, loaded up and ready to head home.  Sixteen miles is a lot shorter than 34, but I was still pretty tired from the day before.  It was a really fun morning though.

Next weekend we are schedule to fit in a 37 mile ride.  We are aiming to increase each week by about three miles.  I'm waiting for my fitness to kick in so that I don't feel like a limp noodle after each ride!

No comments:

Post a Comment