Monday, April 28, 2014

The Daily Struggle


I hate homework.  I detest it.  I loathe it.  I can't stand it.  Especially when it comes in the form of Hudson having to complete it.

Homework with Evan was and is usually pretty easy.  Evan strives to please and is terrified of getting in trouble at school.  Hudson doesn't give a rat's butt.

Even the lure of "Fun Friday" isn't enough to get Hudson to willingly complete the assignments.  (I do have to laugh at what Fun Friday consists of: math games.  Maybe if Fun Friday was more fun, Hudson would be tempted to finish his homework with less struggle!)

As a teacher, I completely understand the concept of homework.  As a parent, I do not.  As a teacher, I try to not give too much for kids to complete at home.  In junior high, homework is typically the work they didn't finish during the day.

In Hudson's teacher's defense, the amount of homework she gives is perfectly fine.  There is reading, math, and spelling each day.  If he would DO it, he'd be done in less than 15 minutes.  The homework even comes home each Friday as a packet that can be done over the weekend for those parents who have their crap together.  That wouldn't be me.

As we sit here on a Monday evening, Eric and Evan have gone to soccer practice, and Hudson is busy "looking" for a pencil, because apparently I like to hide them from him for sport.  Once the pencil is found, there are thirst issues to deal with.  Then we must pretend that we don't know how to add numbers.  Then we go to the bathroom.  And it doesn't end.  Usually there are tears.

I know people always say enjoy your kids because they grow up so fast.  However, I can be 99.999% certain that the daily struggle of homework with Hudson is not going to be something I will long for in the future.  Watching him play soccer on Saturday mornings is something I'll miss.  Homework...not so much.

Heather

P.S.  I finally gave up and told him to go watch tv in my bedroom.  Is it bedtime yet?  No?  Another hour and eleven minutes to go?  Super.

No comments:

Post a Comment