Sunday, December 27, 2015

A Moment With My Dad

We had a very nice Christmas.  Before I get into a picture sharing and story telling post, I need to share something that happened to me on the afternoon of Christmas Eve.

I went out for a run just after noon, and I was about two miles away from my house.  I was struggling, as I always seem to do when I run.  I was listening to Michael Buble's Christmas station on Pandora.  Every single song was VERY much related to Christmas.

All of a sudden, Josh Groban's "You Raise Me Up" came on through my earbuds.  I stopped in my tracks in disbelief.  This was a song that we played at my dad's funeral.  My cousin sang the song.  I've always loved it, but it has extra special meaning now that it is attached to my dad.

You can listen to the song here:



The song is NOT a Christmas song.  It made no sense that the song should have played on the Christmas channel.  I got this overwhelming sense that my dad was there with me.  I stopped running and started bawling my eyes out standing on the sidewalk.  I started talking to my dad out loud asking him questions.

I was crying so hard I could barely breathe as that song played.  I realized that my dad was telling me that he was there with me...and I so needed him at that moment on that day.  I would have given anything to have him with me in person.

I have been going through a lot the past few months, and I'm not sure what my dad would think of the choices I have made.  I didn't take the song as a sign that he was telling me I was right and everyone else was wrong.  I took it more as a sign that he was present with me when I needed it so dearly.

I pretty much stood on the side of the road sobbing until the song was over.  Then I wiped the snot off my face, sniffled back the tears, and finished my run, at peace knowing my dad was there with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment