Monday, March 9, 2009

A Hard Lesson

Evan (and I) learned a hard lesson today. His scooter was stolen from right outside our house in broad daylight.

I had the day off so I was able to pick Evan up right after school. We came home, and while I was loading groceries into the house, Evan was playing out front riding his scooter.

At one point I needed to use the bathroom, and I didn't want to leave Evan out front alone with me at the back of the house. I told him he needed to come inside. He came in but left his scooter leaning on the curb right in front of the house.

We were inside for maybe 10 minutes (and no I wasn't in the bathroom that long!). Then we went back outside to continue playing. All of a sudden Evan said, "Hey, where's my scooter?" I sort of looked around in disbelief. It was indeed gone.

We live at the end of a cul de sac that only has three houses on it. There is a canal along the side of the house. In other words, we don't get a lot of foot traffic.

It is really dismaying to realize that you can't leave your scooter, bike, or other play items outside of your supposedly safe neighborhood without fear of returning to an empty yard. It really angers me.

I then had to sit down and have a talk with my 4-year-old about how some people in the world are bad and how this was an unfortunate lesson for all of us to have learned. Evan said, "God will help us!" I'm not sure if he thought God would bring back his scooter or if God will strike the thief! I'm hoping for either result.

Sometimes this world gets me down. It's hard to look at the face of your 4-year-old and try to explain why someone took something that belonged to him. Like I said in the title: a hard lesson.

2 comments:

  1. Awe! That stinks. I would keep an eye open the next couple weeks around the neighborhood. Often I see things that get taken by teens to just 'joy ride' on and they leave it wherever. So it could be just sitting wherever they left it which is probalby not too far. Also DO call your local police department. Not 911 but you know the regular line. They routinely find those and also will keep them and then whatever is unclaimed goes to charity once a year. Good luck! Definatly, he will now know to pick up. Not that it shouldn't have been safe for ten minutes but he will always remember. I'm always telling my kids that and the do it but don't necessarily believe me as to why. Consider him learning this one early. A sad but teachable moment. HUGS!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That just plain sucks. People can be so thoughtless. Honestly, who did they think a little scooter belonged to? If you want to steal from me, I'll be angry but I'll get over it. I'm an adult. But to steal from a kid...that's so many levels of wrong. I'm sorry!

    ReplyDelete