Monday, September 26, 2011

Birthday Boy

Today: I am still rash free. However, I can still feel twinges of the rude migraine. That kind of bites. It was a pretty ordinary Monday with packing school lunches, teaching, going over our standardized tests to get them mailed off, staff meeting, pizza dinner, packing lunches again, and snuggling on the couch. Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday get a little busy, so it was nice to enjoy a pizza groupon deal.

Birthday Boy

Hudson turned four on Sept. 13. He truly understood his birthday this year and was quite excited for his big day.


At our school, you get to wear free dress on your birthday. Hudson's teacher made him a birthday crown.


Close up of my monkey boy.

I bought birthday cookies for Hudson to share in class. I popped into his room at recess to be with him while he passed out his cookies, and the kids sang Happy Birthday to him. I LOVE it that I don't miss these moments, especially while the kids are small.

By the end of the day, I wasn't feeling very good. I just didn't have it in me to make dinner, much less a cake. We decided to go to Togo's for dinner and ice cream cake.

Of course, Hudson wanted the biggest (read: most expensive) Transformer cake in the display case. We talked him down to a little $20 number and had the girl write his name on the cake.

As luck would have it, or not have it, she dropped the cake on the floor! That, no pastrami, and Hudson's giant puppy dog eyes led to the man giving us a significant discount...and we ended up getting the Transformer cake after all!


Opening his presents. People were giving us funny looks. They were probably wondering why we chose Togo's for the four-year-old's birthday party.

We took the cake home, sang to our baby, finished opening presents, and called it good.


Just about to blow out the candles.

Then I got sick. Hudson spent late Saturday, Sunday and Monday sick. I caught it on Tuesday and stayed home from school on Wednesday. Eric got it on Thursday and Evan got it on Friday. Puke everywhere. It was fantastic. Trying to squeeze a birthday in among the sick germs was challenging.

Anyhow, it's hard to believe my baby is four. I'm not really sure when he went and got big on me. He's our sweet, caring, sharing, beat-to-his-own-drum kid. He still idolizes his brother, but he is not going to let Evan walk all over him. He's taking to school with gusto. He like to dance and sing. He never walks, he runs...or skips...or shimmies! His eyes and smile can light up a room (or get us discounts!).

Happy Birthday Chicken Little! We love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment