Wednesday, December 17, 2008

The Kindness of Strangers

A rather strange incident happened to me and the boys earlier this evening. We were planning to eat out as a family and then go look at Christmas lights, but Eric was late getting home. We decided to eat separately, and meet as a family to see lights. I took the boys to Togos for sandwiches and ice cream.

Things were going fine...or as fine as they could when it was just me wrangling a 4-year-old and 1-year-old, a purse, a platter of food, and a high chair. No problem. I'm getting good at stuff like this! A nice older lady was sitting across the aisle from us. She made small talk with Evan. Then things got weird.

A very strange man was seated a bit away from us, but he kept staring at the kids. At first I tried to pay him no attention, but it was getting on my nerves the way he was eyeballing the boys. Call it a mother's instinct, call it overly sensitive, call it whatever you want. I didn't like it.

It got worse when the man seemed to be done with his meal, but instead threw away everything except for his cup and came and sat at the table directly across from us. He was about 2 feet away from me and the kids. Then I could really tell he was staring. He was also mumbling to himself, acting fidgety and just giving me that creepy feeling.

We finished up our meal. Evan was a great little helper and threw everything away. I got myself completely together in order to get the kids to the car and safely inside. I was already worried that the guy might just happen to come out at the same time, and I didn't want to be unprepared.

Luckily nothing happened. However, as I was finished strapping Evan into his carseat, the nice lady who had been eating near us came out to her car which was parked by us. She called out to me and said, "Honey, I don't know about you, but that man was giving me the heebie jeebies!" I just laughed nervously and agreed with her. Then she said, "I wasn't going to leave until I made sure that you had those babies buckled up. I didn't want anything happening to you." I told her thank you several times and we wished each other a Merry Christmas.

I was left with a shaky feeling knowing that I wasn't the only one who thought something was a bit "off." But I also felt a great warmth and thankfulness for this complete stranger who spent a bit of extra time during her evening to make sure my kids and I were safe. It really is a moment of clarity when you realize that there are some amazing people in the world. Someday I hope I can reassure someone the way that woman reassured me tonight.

3 comments:

  1. What a sweet lady...and creepy guy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great thing (I mean except for the creepy guy)...there are definitely angels among us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that is crazy! What a wonderful lady to think of that.

    ReplyDelete